D. Y. Tang received the B.Sc. degree in physics from Wuhan University, Wuhan, China in 1983, the M.Sc. degree in laser physics from the Shanghai Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Science in 1986 and the Ph.D. degree in physics from the Hannover University, Germany in 1993. From 1993 to 1994, he worked as a scientific employee at the Physikalisch-Technische Budesanstalt, Braunschweig, Germany. From 1994 to 1997 he was a university Postdoctoral Research Fellow, and from 1997 to 1999 he was an Australian Research Council (ARC) Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Queensland, Australia. From 1999 to 2000 he worked as a Research Fellow in the Optical Fiber Technology Centre (OFTC), The University of Sydney, Australia. He is currently an Associate Professor in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Laser Physics and Techniques, Nonlinear Optics and Nonlinear Fibre Optics, Ultra-fast Optics, Nonlinear Dynamics, Bio- and Nano-photonics.
Selected Research Projects
- Development of a fibre-based super-continuum light source for the bio-sensor and bio-imaging applications- RG13/05 (On-going).
- Development of nano-crystalline ceramic laser materials and high power diode pumped ceramic lasers – A*Star SERC grant (On-going).
- Optical parametric oscillators (OPOs): Technology and applications – RG 13/01 (Completed).
- D. Y. Tang , L. M. Zhao, B. Zhao and A. Q. Liu, “Mechanism of multi-soliton formation and soliton energy quantization in passively mode-locked fibre lasers”, Physical Review A, 72, 043816/1-9(2005).
- D. Y. Tang . S. P. Ng, L. J. Qin and X. L. Meng, “Deterministic chaos in a diode-pumped Nd:YAG laser passively Q-switched by a Cr 4+:YAG crystal”, Optics Letters, 28, 325-327 (2003).
- D. Y. Tang , B. Zhao, D. Y. Shen, C. Lu, W. S. Man and H. Y. Tam, “Bound-soliton fibre laser”, Physical Review A, 66, 033806/1-6 (2002).
- D. Y. Tang , W. S. Man, H. Y. Tam and P. Drummond, “Observation of bound states of solitons in a passively mode-locked fibre soliton laser”, Physical Review A, 64, 033814/1-3 (2001).
- D. Y. Tang , W. S. Man, H. Y. Tam and M. S. Demokan, “Modulational instability in a fibre soliton ring laser induced by periodic dispersion variation”, Physical Review A, 61, 023804/1-5(2000).